WHAT IS THE PHILOSOPHY OF KIDS' CORNER?
Each child is an individual who will be permitted to develop at his/her own rate.
Children need developmentally appropriate opportunities to maximize their physical, social, emotional, intellectual, and moral development.
Children learn about their environment through multi-sensory experiences.
Every child possesses some degree of creativity; therefore they will be given opportunities for creative expressions.
The preschool will be operated by individuals who understand the developmental needs of preschool children, and demonstrate a style of teaching involving guidance and training.
When is Kids' Corner in session?
The schedule for the school year will operate from 12:00 to 2:40 every other day. The schedule is aligned with the CHS block schedule and is provided to parents at the beginning of the school year. The first semester begins in September and ends in December. The second semester begins in February and ends in May. Vacations correspond with the Carmel Clay School's academic calendar.
What are the program goals?
Daily lessons are planned using the Indiana State Standards for Early Childhood Education which...
- Promote large muscle coordination
- Promote small muscle coordination
- Promote self help skills
- Promote independence
- Promote a positive self-concept
- Promote self expression
- Promote language skills
- Promote problem solving skills
- Promote global awareness
What is a typical day like in Kids' Corner?
Daily Activities Include:
- Learning centers - Math, Science, Social Studies, Arts & Crafts, Drama, Sensory, Games and Puzzles, Computers, Reading, and Music
- Scheduled times for whole group, small group and individual instructional times
- Large Muscle Play or Outdoor Recess
What kinds of activities are included in the program?
- Constructive play with puzzles, blocks, art activities, and more
- Language arts and math lessons
- Circle time, story time, and sharing time
- Music activities that involve singing, rhythm activities, playing instruments, listening to records and tapes, and dancing
- Dramatic play fun, with costumes, prop boxes and puppets
- Exercise time and outdoor free time to play
- Nature and science activities
- Snack time
- Field trips, guests from the community, and media presentations
Who can enroll?
Kids' Corner is designed to be a pre-kindergarten program. The child must turn 4 by September 1st, as a child must be 5 by September 1st to attend kindergarten in the Carmel Clay School system.
Who runs the Kids' Corner Program?
The center provides a quality training program for high school seniors pursuing child-related careers. These students have completed an advanced child development course and received a recommendation from the child development teacher. Students are also eligible to receive six dual-enrollment college credits from Ivy Tech Community College. The high school students work directly with the children in a teaching capacity. In addition, the students receive classroom instruction to further their knowledge of the growth and development of young children and are CPR & First Aid Certified through the Hamilton County Health Department.
How much does the program cost?
The tuition for the 2017-18 school year is $350.
Who may I contact for more information?
Kim Lenzo - ext. 7614
Carmel High School
520 E. Main Street
Carmel, IN 46032