Our priority at Carmel High School is to help students socially, emotionally, and academically learn and grow. A student's regular attendance in all classes is vital to that growth. We value working together with all stakeholders to help all students maintain regular attendance in order to achieve their academic and life goals.
PROCEDURE FOR REPORTING ABSENCES
1. Parents or legal guardians are requested to call the 24-hour attendance voice mail line (317) 571-5915 for 10-12th grades and (317) 571-4622 for 9th grade the day of the absence. If a call is not received by 9:00 a.m. the day after the absence, the absence may be considered unexcused. You may call the attendance office as far in advance as possible. Absences can be scheduled months in advance.
2. A telephone call will be required each day the student is absent unless prior arrangements have been made.
3. When reporting an absence, the parent or guardian should give the following information:
a. their name and relationship to student
b. student’s name (please spell) and grade in school
c. reason for absence
d. the date of absence
4. Upon returning to school the day following an absence, the student should go directly to class. If there is a question about the absence, the Student Services Office will contact the student.
5. If a student leaves the school building during the school day, the student must sign out with the attendance office. Students must sign in at attendance upon returning to school that day or arriving at school after the school day begins, even if returning or leaving during a passing period.
Failure to properly sign in or out could result in the student’s absence being marked as unexcused.
The student, parent or legal guardian, and the school must cooperate to achieve the school's stated philosophy of education where school attendance is concerned. However, students must be encouraged to exercise self-discipline within the framework of the stated attendance policy.
IMPORTANT ATTENDANCE INFORMATION
Excused absences from Carmel High School are only granted for:
1. School Sanctioned Activities (i.e. - Field Trips)
2. Planned Family Absence*
3. College Visitations
4. Driver License Examinations
5. Illness of the Student (Medical, Dental, and/or Clinical Appointments) - Please note: after any doctor's visit, turn in documentation of the visit to the attendance office.
6. Death in the Family
7. Required Religious Observance
8. Jury Duty/Court Appearance
*For planned family absences, athletic tournaments, volunteer trips, and/or other extended absences totaling 3 or more absences, please contact Assistant Principal Maureen Borto, email@example.com, to fill out the proper pre-arranged absence form. This must be completed before your child is absent.
Tardiness to school due to oversleeping and/or car trouble will not be excused.
If you have any questions, please call the Student Services office of Carmel High School at 317-571-5915 or 317-846-7721.
Doctor notes can be faxed to: 317-571-7924.
NOTE: For a complete list of current student-related policies and procedures, consult the Carmel High School 2018-2019 Pathways to Success and Student Handbook, available online and from the CHS Bookstore.