Below is a brief overview as provided by the Indiana Department of Education:
..."To ensure all students have every opportunity to succeed, Indiana adopted the Common Core State Standards in the area of Mathematics, as well as English Language Arts and LIteracy in History/Social Studies, Science, and Technical Subjects."
Common Core State Standards Philosophy:
The Common Core State Standards:
- are aligned with college and work expectations.
- include rigorous content andapplication of knowledge through high-order skills
- build upon strengths and lessons of current state standards
- are internationally benchmarked
- are evidence and/or research based
The Common Core State Standards will:
- help prepare all students with the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in college and careers.
- assist students who move between states.
- create the opportunity for America to compete for high-wage, high-skill jobs in a knowledge-based economy.
- allow for more focued pre-service education and professional development.
- create economies of scale around areas such as curriculum, instructions resources, and assessment.