Practices are scheduled individually to fit YOUR schedule. Each speaker will sign up on my door to meet after school for a practice when you are free. During practice we will work on an event:
· choose an event ( you have 11 choices)
· find a script for drama, humor, duo, prose, or declamation
· choose poems for poetry
· write a script for Original Oratory
· review current events for extemp, discussion, and impromptu
· collect news items for a 2 minute broadcast for radio
· practice doing your event at least 3 times before you compete
Meets are all on Saturdays from about 8am to noon
· team table to gather in cafeteria
· compete in classrooms with 4-7 students and one adult judge
· eat lunch in cafeteria
· go to auditorium for awards
Events are diverse, some memorized, some read, some individual, some duo, some group.
The 11 events are drama, humor, poetry, prose, duo, discussion, original oratory, declamation,
radio, extemporaneous, and impromptu. See lavender sheet for details.
Attire for a speech meet is business standard clothing.
· boys shirt and tie with dress pants and shoes or business suit
· girls in business suit or pants suit that is business-like, not dressy
Awards are usually given for the first 8-10 places, ribbons for individuals and team trophies
to the top 3-5 schools, sometimes classed by size.
National Junior Forensic League Points are awarded based on
points earned for participation in meets. Membership requires 10 points.
Clay Home Meet is our chance to host a speech meet here. It requires a LOT of
parental volunteer help to plan and run the food and to help run the meet.
Coach: Sylvia Hyde - firstname.lastname@example.org, school 844-7251 x 6761, cell 450-2765