For my last day in Italy, I decided to walk through the city and just take it all in. It was beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky! I left for my journey at 9:00 in the morning and returned to my hotel at 3:00. I hardly stopped walking the entire time. It was a perfect way to end my trip. Here’s where I went…
1. Santa Scala (“The Holy Staircase”) believed to be the staircase that Jesus walked on when going for his trial before Pontius Pilate
2. Coliseum and surrounding sights – I have wanted to walk in this place since I was 8 years old and my oldest brother came home from a trip to Rome. My dream was finally realized.
3. Capitoline Museum – My European treasure hunt continued as I searched the hundreds of statues for a Bust of Thales. I was armed with a picture of statue so I knew what I was looking for, but not even that combined with the 5 different workers I asked was enough to locate it. I was a little disappointed but it’s the only thing from my whole trip that I couldn’t find so I can’t really complain.
4. “The Spanish Steps” – I wandered back to the steps to enjoy my lunch in the sunshine and do a little people watching.
5. “Bone Church” – I then headed over to this church. It is run by monks and is decorated with the bones of over 400 different monks. Sounds creepy but I heard it was really cool. Unfortunately when I got there, it was closed so I just headed back to my hotel.