Entering kindergarten is a big step in the life of a five year old and his/her parents. It is the desire of the Carmel Clay Schools that this experience be most beneficial, for the importance of these early years is a matter of great concern to all of us. By working together, the family and the school can make this year a rewarding one.
Ten things to help your child prepare for school
You can help your child feel more comfortable, secure, and independent at school by....
- visiting, observing, and discussing interesting things, activities, places, and people in the community.
- planning, working, and playing together as a family.
- giving the child duties which he/she is capable of successfully executing.
- allowing the child to make choices and follow through on time.
- regularly reading to your child and showing him/her that you enjoy reading a variety of literature.
- having regularly scheduled meals, which comprise a well-balanced diet.
- being aware of, and cooperating with, school regulations.
- establishing a routine of regular school attendance, unless the child is ill.
- making sure he/she knows his/her full name, address, and telephone number.
- establishing a regular bedtime that allows for plenty of sleep.
Sample activities to help prepare your child for kindergarten are...
- arranging household items into groups to build organizational skills.
- preparing snacks and meals to teach about measuring, temperature and time.
- growing plants to encourage curiosity and a sense of wonder.
- playing games with words, numbers and colors at home and in the car to build basic language and number skills.
- promoting a love of reading by reading books and magazines together.